1. a light usually carried in the hand; consists of some flammable substance
Definition categories: man–made, light
2. tall-stalked very woolly mullein with densely packed yellow flowers; ancient Greeks and Romans dipped the stalks in tallow for funeral torches
3. a small portable battery-powered electric lamp
Similar word(s): flashlight
Definition categories: man–made
4. a burner that mixes air and gas to produce a very hot flame
Definition categories: man–made, burner
Sentences with torch as a noun:
- The mob of angry villagers carried torches and pitchforks to the vampire′s castle.
- Ernst slipped and dropped his torch on the flagstones, shattering the bulb and plunging us into darkness.