1. an implement used in the practice of a vocation
Definition categories: man–made, implement
2. the means whereby some act is accomplished
- science has given us new tools to fight disease
Similar word(s): instrument
3. a person who is controlled by others and is used to perform unpleasant or dishonest tasks for someone else
4. obscene terms for penis
Sentences with tool as a noun:
- Hand me that tool, would you?
- These are the tools of the trade.
- The software engineer had been developing lots of EDA tools.
- He was a tool, no more than a pawn to her.
- He won't sell us tickets because it's 3:01, and they went off sale at 3. That guy's such a tool.
- The convertible tooled down the street
2. ride in a car with no particular goal and just for the pleasure of it
- We tooled down the street
Similar word(s): joyride
3. furnish with tools
4. work with a tool
Sentences with tool as a verb:
- Dude, he's not your friend. He's just tooling you.