1. insignificantly small; a matter of form only (`tokenish' is informal)
- a token gesture of resistance
- a tokenish gesture
Sentences with token as an adjective:
- He made a token tap on the brake pedal at the stop sign.
1. an individual instance of a type of symbol
- the word `error' contains three tokens of `r'
Similar word(s): item
2. something serving as a sign of something else
3. a metal or plastic disk that can be redeemed or used in designated slot machines
4. something of sentimental value
Definition categories: man–made, object
Sentences with token as a noun:
- According to the Bible, the rainbow is a token of God's covenant with Noah.
- Please accept this bustier as a token of our time together.
- Subway tokens are being replaced by magnetic cards.
- A book token is the easiest option for a Christmas gift.
1. To betoken, indicate, portend, designate, denote
2. To betroth
3. (philosophy) To symbolize, instantiate