1. the thick short innermost digit of the forelimb
Similar word(s): pollex
2. the part of a glove that provides a covering for the thumb
Definition categories: man–made, covering
3. a convex molding having a cross section in the form of a quarter of a circle or of an ellipse
Similar word(s): ovolo
1. travel by getting free rides from motorists
2. look through a book or other written material
- He thumbed through the report
3. feel or handle with the fingers
Similar word(s): finger
Sentences with thumb as a verb:
- to thumb the touch-hole of a cannon
- I thumbed through the book and decided not to bother reading it all.
- So I started thumbin' back east, toward my hometown.