1. the passage to the stomach and lungs; in the front part of the neck below the chin and above the collarbone
Similar word(s): pharynx
Definition categories: body
2. an opening in the vamp of a shoe at the instep
Definition categories: man–made, opening
3. a passage resembling a throat in shape or function
- the throat of the vase
- the throat of a chimney
Definition categories: man–made, passage
4. the part of an animal's body that corresponds to a person's throat
Definition categories: animal
Sentences with throat as a noun:
- The wild pitch bounced and hit the catcher in the throat.
- As I swallowed I felt something strange in my throat.
- The water leaked out from the throat of the bottle.
1. (obsolete) To utter in the throat; to mutter.
2. (Britain, dialect, obsolete) To mow (beans, etc.) in a direction against their bending.