1. painstakingly careful and accurate
- our accountant is thorough
- thorough research
Similar word(s): careful
2. performed comprehensively and completely; not superficial or partial
- made a thorough search
- thoroughgoing research
3. without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers
- a thorough nuisance
- a thoroughgoing villain
Sentences with thorough as an adjective:
- The Prime Minister announced a thorough investigation into the death of a father of two in police custody.
- He is the most thorough worker I have ever seen.
- The infested house needs a thorough cleansing before it will be inhabitable.
- It is a thorough pleasure to see him beg for mercy.
1. (Britain, dialect) A furrow between two ridges, to drain off the surface water.
1. (obsolete) Through. [9th-19th c.]