1. (now chiefly dialectal) At that time; then.
1. (obsolete outside dialects, usually used with for) Because; for.
2. Used in comparisons, to introduce the basis of comparison.
- she's taller than I am;
1. introduces a comparison, and is associated with comparatives, and with words such as more, less, and fewer. Typically, it seeks to measure the force of an adjective or similar description between two predicates.
- Patients diagnosed more recently are probably surviving an average of longer than two years.