1. a drop of the clear salty saline solution secreted by the lacrimal glands
- his story brought tears to her eyes
Similar word(s): teardrop
2. an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart
3. an occasion for excessive eating or drinking
4. the act of tearing
- he took the manuscript in both hands and gave it a mighty tear
Sentences with tear as a noun:
- A small tear is easy to mend, if it is on the seam.
- There were big tears rolling down Lisa's cheeks.
- Ryan wiped the tear from the paper he was crying on.
1. separate or cause to separate abruptly
- tear the paper
2. to separate or be separated by force
3. move quickly and violently
4. strip of feathers
5. fill with tears or shed tears
- Her eyes were tearing
Sentences with tear as a verb:
- His boss will tear him a new one when he finds out.
- Tear the coupon out of the newspaper.
- He went tearing down the hill at 90 miles per hour.
- The tornado lingered, tearing through town, leaving nothing upright.
- Her eyes began to tear in the harsh wind.