1. a quantity of money
- he borrowed a large sum
Similar word(s): amount
2. a quantity obtained by the addition of a group of numbers
3. the final aggregate
- the sum of all our troubles did not equal the misery they suffered
Similar word(s): summation
4. the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
5. the whole amount
6. a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets
Sentences with sum as a noun:
- The sum of 3 and 4 is 7.
- We're learning about division, and the sums are tricky.
- a tidy sum
- the sum of forty pounds
- This is the sum of all the evidence in the case.
- This is the sum and substance of his objections.
1. be a summary of
- The abstract summarizes the main ideas in the paper
2. determine the sum of