1. a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
2. a submersible warship usually armed with torpedoes
Definition categories: man–made, submersible
Sentences with sub as a noun:
- We can get subs at that deli.
- With the score 4 to 1, they brought in subs.She worked as a sub until she got her teaching certificate.
- I've just noticed a mistake in the subs for this film.
1. be a substitute
- The young teacher had to substitute for the sick colleague
- The skim milk substitutes for cream--we are on a strict diet
Similar word(s): substitute
Sentences with sub as a verb:
- He never really made a contribution to the match, so it was no surprise when he was subbed at half time.
- He was subbed on half way through the second half, and scored within minutes.