1. having strength or power greater than average or expected
- a strong radio signal
- strong medicine
- a strong man
Similar word(s): rugged, powerful, robust, beardown, brawny, hefty, muscular, powerful, sinewy, rugged, bullnecked, bullocky, fortified, hard, knockout, severe, ironlike, reinforced, strengthened, robust, sound, stiff, vehement, virile, tough, toughened
2. not faint or feeble
- a strong odor of burning rubber
Similar word(s): intense
3. having or wielding force or authority
4. having a strong physiological or chemical effect
5. immune to attack; incapable of being tampered with
6. of good quality and condition; solidly built
7. of verbs not having standard (or regular) inflection
- `sing' is a strong verb
Similar word(s): irregular
8. being distilled rather than fermented; having a high alcoholic content
9. freshly made or left
10. strong and sure
- gave a strong pull on the rope
Sentences with strong as an adjective:
- a big strong man;
- a strong foundation;
- The man was nearly drowned after a strong undercurrent swept him out to sea.
- He is strong in the face of adversity.
- a strong light;
- a strong smell
- a strong cup of coffee;
- a strong drink
- a strong verb
- a strong acid;
- a strong position
- You're working with troubled youth in your off time? That’s strong!
- The enemy's army force was five thousand strong.
1. In a strong manner.