1. the distinctive form in which a thing is made
2. a type or class
- more men of his stamp are needed
3. a symbol that is the result of printing or engraving
- he put his stamp on the envelope
Similar word(s): impression
4. a small adhesive token stuck on a letter or package to indicate that that postal fees have been paid
Similar word(s): postage
5. something that can be used as an official medium of payment
Similar word(s): tender
Definition categories: possession
6. a small piece of adhesive paper that is put on an object to show that a government tax has been paid
7. machine consisting of a heavy bar that moves vertically for pounding or crushing ores
Similar word(s): pestle
Definition categories: man–made, machine
8. a block or die used to imprint a mark or design
Definition categories: man–made, die
9. a device incised to make an impression; used to secure a closing or to authenticate documents
Similar word(s): seal
Definition categories: man–made, device
Sentences with stamp as a noun:
- The horse gave two quick stamps and rose up on its hind legs.
- My passport has quite a collection of stamps.
- She loved to make designs with her collection of stamps.
- These stamps have a Christmas theme.
- I need one first-class stamp to send this letter.
- Now that commerce is done electronically, tax stamps are no longer issued here.
1. walk heavily
2. to mark, or produce an imprint in or on something
- a man whose name is permanently stamped on our maps
3. reveal clearly as having a certain character
- His playing stamps him as a Romantic
4. affix a stamp to
- Are the letters properly stamped?
5. treat or classify according to a mental stereotype
6. destroy or extinguish as if by stamping with the foot
- Stamp fascism into submission
- stamp out tyranny
7. form or cut out with a mold, form, or die
- stamp needles
8. crush or grind with a heavy instrument
- stamp fruit extract the juice
9. raise in a relief
Sentences with stamp as a verb:
- The toddler screamed and stamped, but still got no candy.
- The crowd cheered and stamped their feet in appreciation.
- This machine stamps the metal cover with a design.
- This machine stamps the design into the metal cover.
- The immigration officer stamped my passport.
- I forgot to stamp this letter.