1. a sudden sharp feeling
- she felt a stab of excitement
Definition categories: feeling
2. a strong blow with a knife or other sharp pointed instrument
- one strong stab to the heart killed him
Similar word(s): thrust
3. informal words for any attempt or effort
- he took a stab at forecasting
Similar word(s): shot
Sentences with stab as a noun:
- I'll give this thankless task a stab.
- a horn stab
1. use a knife on
Similar word(s): knife
2. stab or pierce
Similar word(s): jab
3. poke or thrust abruptly
Sentences with stab as a verb:
- If you stab him in the heart he won't live long enough to retaliate.
- to stab a dagger into a person
- He stabbed at my face with the twig but luckily kept missing my eyes.
- The snow from the blizzard was stabbing at my face as I skied down the mountain.
- to stab a person's reputation