1. a crushing remark
2. an electric circuit that cuts off a receiver when the signal becomes weaker than the noise
Similar word(s): squelcher
Definition categories: man–made, circuit
1. suppress or crush completely
- squelch any sign of dissent
2. make a sucking sound
3. walk through mud or mire
4. to compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition
- squeeze a lemon
Sentences with squelch as a verb:
- Even the king’s announcement could not squelch the rumors.
- The mud squelched underfoot; it had been raining all night.
- The mud was thick and sticky underfoot, but we squelched through it nonetheless.