1. (military) a secret agent hired by a state to obtain information about its enemies or by a business to obtain industrial secrets from competitors
2. a secret watcher; someone who secretly watches other people
1. catch sight of
2. watch, observe, or inquire secretly
3. catch sight of; to perceive with the eyes
Similar word(s): sight
4. secretly collect sensitive or classified information; engage in espionage
- spy for the Russians
Sentences with spy as a verb:
- During the Cold War, Russia and America would each spy on each other for recon.
- I think I can spy that hot guy coming over here.