1. distance travelled per unit time
Similar word(s): velocity
2. a rate (usually rapid) at which something happens
- the project advanced with gratifying speed
3. changing location rapidly
4. the ratio of the focal length to the diameter of a (camera) lens system
5. a central nervous system stimulant that increases energy and decreases appetite; used to treat narcolepsy and some forms of depression
Sentences with speed as a noun:
- How does Usain Bolt run at that speed?
1. move hurridly
2. move faster
3. move very fast
- The runner zipped past us at breakneck speed
4. travel at an excessive or illegal velocity
- I got a ticket for speeding
5. cause to move faster
Similar word(s): accelerate
Sentences with speed as a verb:
- God speed, until we meet again.
- The Ferrari was speeding along the road.
- Why do you speed when the road is so icy?