1. of or relating to or characteristic of Sparta or its people
2. resolute in the face of pain or danger or adversity
- spartan courage
Similar word(s): resolute
3. unsparing and uncompromising in discipline or judgment
- a Spartan upbringing
4. practicing great self-denial
- a spartan diet
- a spartan existence
Sentences with spartan as an adjective:
- I went on the retreat to the monastery, thinking I would be sleeping in a spartan cell, only to discover a simple but comfortable bedroom.
- The spartan legionaries vowed to fight to the death.
- After ten years as a fashion designer in the rough-and-tumble Garment District, Eloise left New York for the spartan but serene life of a farmer's wife.