1. a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality
2. an approximate definition or example
- she wore a sort of magenta dress
- she served a creamy sort of dessert thing
3. a person of a particular character or nature
- what sort of person is he?
- he's a good sort
4. an operation that segregates items into groups according to a specified criterion
- the bottleneck in mail delivery is the process of sorting
Similar word(s): sorting
Sentences with sort as a noun:
- This guy's a decent sort.
- I had a sort of my cupboard.
- Popular sorts include quicksort and heapsort.