1. make (images or sounds) soft or softer
Definition categories: perception
2. lessen in force or effect
- soften a shock
3. give in, as to influence or pressure
Definition categories: stative
4. protect from impact
5. make less severe or harsh
6. make soft or softer
- This liquid will soften your laundry
7. become soft or softer
- The bread will soften if you pour some liquid on it
Definition categories: change
Sentences with soften as a verb:
- Soften the butter before beating in the sugar.
- Before the invasion, we softened up the enemy with the artillery.
- Having second thoughts, I softened my criticism.
- The butter softened as it warmed up.