1. slanderous defamation
Similar word(s): vilification
2. a thin tissue or blood sample spread on a glass slide and stained for cytologic examination and diagnosis under a microscope
Definition categories: body
3. a blemish made by dirt
4. an act that brings discredit to the person who does it
Sentences with smear as a noun:
- This detergent cleans windows without leaving smears.
- I'm going to the doctor's this afternoon for a smear.
1. stain by smearing or daubing with a dirty substance
2. make a smudge on; soil by smudging
3. cover (a surface) by smearing (a substance) over it
- smear the wall with paint
Similar word(s): daub
4. charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone
Sentences with smear as a verb:
- The artist smeared paint over the canvas in broad strokes.
- She smeared her lips with lipstick.
- The opposition party attempted to smear the candidate by spreading incorrect and unverifiable rumors about their personal behavior.
- The paint is still wet — don't touch it or it will smear.