1. a rester who is sleeping
Similar word(s): slumberer
2. a spy or saboteur or terrorist planted in an enemy country who lives there as a law-abiding citizen until activated by a prearranged signal
3. an unexpected achiever of success
- the winner was a true sleeper--no one expected him to get it
4. one of the cross braces that support the rails on a railway track
- the British call a railroad tie a sleeper
5. a passenger car that has berths for sleeping
6. pajamas with feet; worn by children
7. a piece of furniture that can be opened up into a bed
Definition categories: man–made, furniture
8. tropical fish that resembles a goby and rests quietly on the bottom in shallow water
9. an unexpected hit
- that movie was the sleeper of the summer
Sentences with sleeper as a noun:
- I'm a light sleeper: I get woken up by the smallest of sounds.
- She's a heavy sleeper: it takes a lot to wake her up.
- We spent a night on an uncomfortable sleeper between Athens and Vienna.
- A box-office bomb when it first came out, the film was a sleeper, becoming much more popular decades after being released.
- Aaron, Devin, and Laura looked so comfy in their sleepers.