1. (rare, Buddhism) an event (usually one full day or more) where the primary goal is to sit in meditation.
1. be seated
Definition categories: contact
2. be around, often idly or without specific purpose
3. take a seat
Definition categories: motion
4. be in session
- When does the court of law sit?
5. assume a posture as for artistic purposes
6. sit and travel on the back of animal, usually while controlling its motions
Similar word(s): ride
7. be located or situated somewhere
- The White House sits on Pennsylvania Avenue
8. work or act as a baby-sitter
- I cannot baby-sit tonight; I have too much homework to do
Similar word(s): babysit
9. show to a seat; assign a seat for
Similar word(s): seat
10. serve in a specific professional capacity
Sentences with sit as a verb:
- After a long day of walking, it was good just to sit and relax.
- I asked him to sit.
- I currently sit on a standards committee.
- In what city is the circuit court sitting for this session.
- Your new coat sits well.
- How will this new contract sit with the workers?
- I don’t think it will sit well.
- The violence in these video games sits awkwardly with their stated aim of educating children.
- Sit him in front of the TV and he might watch for hours.
- The dining room table sits eight comfortably.
- I'm going to sit for them on Thursday.
- I need to find someone to sit my kids on Friday evening for four hours.
- I'm sitting for a painter this evening.