1. A common imperative instructing the addressed to remain silent.
1. the state of being silent (as when no one is speaking)
- there was a shocked silence
- he gestured for silence
2. the absence of sound
- he needed silence in order to sleep
Similar word(s): quiet
Definition categories: attribute
3. a refusal to speak when expected
- his silence about my contribution was surprising
Similar word(s): muteness
4. the trait of keeping things secret
Sentences with silence as a noun:
- When the motor stopped, the silence was almost deafening.
- "You have the right to silence," said the police officer.
- During silence a message came to me that there was that of God in every person.
1. cause to be quiet or not talk
- Please silence the children in the church!
2. keep from expression, for example by threats or pressure
- All dissenters were silenced when the dictator assumed power
Sentences with silence as a verb:
- Can you silence the crowd, so we can start the show?
- Silence the critics.
- Silence the doubters.