1. a line that marks the side boundary of a playing field
2. an auxiliary line of merchandise
Definition categories: man–made, line
3. an auxiliary activity
Sentences with sideline as a noun:
- the yellow sideline of the road
- The coach stood on the sidelines and bellowed commands at the team.
- She installed the whole fixture while he simply watched from the sidelines.
- She started the business as a sideline to her regular work and it ended up becoming the greater source of income.
- Soup need not be just a sideline to a meal; if you like, it can be the main course.
1. remove from the center of activity or attention; place into an inferior position
- The outspoken cabinet member was sidelined by the President
Sentences with sideline as a verb:
- The coach sidelined the player until he regained his strength.
- The illness sidelined him for weeks.