1. a plumbing fixture that sprays water over you
- they installed a shower in the bathroom
Definition categories: man–made
2. washing yourself by standing upright under water sprayed from a nozzle
- he took a shower after the game
3. a brief period of precipitation
- the game was interrupted by a brief shower
4. a sudden downpour (as of tears or sparks etc) likened to a rain shower
- a little shower of rose petals
Similar word(s): cascade
5. someone who organizes an exhibit for others to see
6. a party of friends assembled to present gifts (usually of a specified kind) to a person
- her friends organized a baby shower for her when she was expecting
Sentences with shower as a noun:
- Today there will be frequent showers and some sunny spells.
- I′m going to have a shower. (UK, Australia)I′m going to take a shower. (especially US)
- a shower of sparks; a meteor shower; a Gatorade shower
- Would male strippers be appropriate for the divorce shower?
- Her church group has planned an adoption shower.
- The shower will be held at the home of the bridesmaid.
- Her friends are throwing her a shower after her mom leaves.
1. expend profusely; also used with abstract nouns
- He was showered with praise
Similar word(s): lavish
2. spray or sprinkle with
- The guests showered rice on the couple
3. take a shower; wash one's body in the shower
- You should shower after vigorous exercise
4. rain abundantly
- Meteors showered down over half of Australia
5. provide abundantly with
- He showered her with presents