1. lacking physical depth; not extending far downward.
- shallow water
- a shallow dish
- a shallow cut
2. not deep or strong; not affecting one deeply
- shallow breathing
- a night of shallow fretful sleep
- in a shallow trance
3. lacking depth of intellect or knowledge; concerned only with superficial matters
- shallow people
- his arguments seemed shallow and tedious
Similar word(s): superficial
4. lacking interest or substance.
- I left after watching 5 minutes of this shallow movie
Sentences with shallow as an adjective:
- This crater is relatively shallow.
- Saute the onions in a shallow pan.
- The water is shallow here.
- It was a glamorous but shallow lifestyle.
- The acting is good, but the characters are shallow.
- shallow learning
1. a stretch of shallow water
Similar word(s): shoal
Sentences with shallow as a noun:
- The ship ran aground in an unexpected shallow.