1. (US, slang) Acknowledgement of success
1. a number or letter indicating quality (especially of a student's performance)
- what was your score on your homework?
2. a written form of a musical composition; parts for different instruments appear on separate staves on large pages
- he studied the score of the sonata
Definition categories: communication
3. a number that expresses the accomplishment of a team or an individual in a game or contest
- the score was 7 to 0
4. a set of twenty members
- a score were sent out but only one returned
- he tried to blame the victim but his success on that score was doubtful
Similar word(s): account
6. the facts about an actual situation
- he didn't know the score
7. an amount due (as at a restaurant or bar)
- add it to my score and I'll settle later
8. a slight surface cut (especially a notch that is made to keep a tally)
Similar word(s): scotch
9. a resentment strong enough to justify retaliation
- settling a score
10. the act of scoring in a game or sport
- the winning score came with less than a minute left to play
11. a seduction culminating in sexual intercourse
- calling his seduction of the girl a `score' was a typical example of male slang
Sentences with score as a noun:
- The player with the highest score is the winner.
- The score is 8-1 although it's not even half-time!
- The test scores for this class were high.
- Let's pull a score!
- He made a big score.
1. gain points in a game
- The home team scored many times
2. make small marks into the surface of
- score the clay before firing it
3. make underscoring marks
Similar word(s): mark
4. write a musical score for
5. induce to have sex
- Did you score last night?
6. get a certain number or letter indicating quality or performance
- She scored high on the SAT
- He scored a 200
7. assign a grade or rank to, according to one's evaluation
- score the SAT essays
Sentences with score as a verb:
- Pelé scores again!
- It is unusual for a team to score a hundred goals in one game.
- The baker scored the cake so the servers would know where to slice it.
- Chris finally scored with Pat last week.
- Did you score tickets for the concert?