1. the act of scanning; systematic examination of a prescribed region
- he made a thorough scan of the beach with his binoculars
2. an image produced by scanning
- he analyzed the brain scan
- you could see the tumor in the CAT scan
Sentences with scan as a noun:
- The operators vacated the room during the scan.
- The doctors looked at the scans and made a diagnosis.
1. examine minutely or intensely
- the surgeon scanned the X-ray
2. examine hastily
- She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi
3. make a wide, sweeping search of
- The beams scanned the night sky
4. conform to a metrical pattern
5. move a light beam over; in electronics, to reproduce an image
6. read metrically
- scan verses
7. obtain data from magnetic tapes or other digital sources
Similar word(s): read
Sentences with scan as a verb:
- He scanned the horizon.