1. a consecrated place where sacred objects are kept
2. a shelter from danger or hardship
Definition categories: man–made, shelter
3. area around the altar of a church for the clergy and choir; often enclosed by a lattice or railing
Definition categories: man–made, area
Sentences with sanctuary as a noun:
- My car is a sanctuary, where none can disturb me except for people who cut me off.
- The bird sanctuary has strict restrictions on visitors so the birds aren't disturbed.
- The government granted sanctuary to the defector, protecting him from his former government.