1. the state of being certain that adverse effects will not be caused by some agent under defined conditions
- insure the safety of the children
- the reciprocal of safety is risk
2. a safe place
- He ran to safety
Similar word(s): refuge
3. a device designed to prevent injury or accidents
Similar word(s): guard
Definition categories: man–made, device
4. (baseball) the successful act of striking a baseball in such a way that the batter reaches base safely
5. contraceptive device consisting of a sheath of thin rubber or latex that is worn over the penis during intercourse
6. a score in American football; a player is tackled behind his own goal line
Sentences with safety as a noun:
- If you push it to the limit, safety is not guaranteed.
- Be sure that the safety is set before proceeding.
- He sacked the quarterback in the end zone for a safety.
- The free safety made a game-saving tackle on the runner who had broken past the linebackers.
1. (transitive) To secure (a mechanical component, as in aviation) to keep it from becoming detached even under vibration.