1. experiencing or showing sorrow or unhappiness
- feeling sad because his dog had died
- Better by far that you should forget and smile / Than that you should remember and be sad
2. of things that make you feel sad
- sad news
- she doesn't like sad movies
- it was a very sad story
Similar word(s): sorrowful
3. bad; unfortunate
- her clothes were in sad shape
Sentences with sad as an adjective:
- She gets sad when he's away.
- The puppy had a sad little face.
- It's a sad fact that most rapes go unreported.
- That's the saddest-looking pickup truck I've ever seen.
- I can't believe you use drugs; you're so sad!
- sad bread