1. a bag made of paper or plastic for holding customer's purchases
Similar word(s): poke
Definition categories: man–made, bag
2. an enclosed space
3. the quantity contained in a sack
Similar word(s): sackful
4. any of various light dry strong white wine from Spain and Canary Islands (including sherry)
Definition categories: food
5. a woman's full loose hiplength jacket
Similar word(s): sacque
Definition categories: man–made, jacket
6. a hanging bed of canvas or rope netting (usually suspended between two trees); swings easily
Similar word(s): hammock
Definition categories: man–made, bed
7. a loose-fitting dress hanging straight from the shoulders without a waist
8. the plundering of a place by an army or mob; usually involves destruction and slaughter
- the sack of Rome
9. the termination of someone's employment (leaving them free to depart)
Sentences with sack as a noun:
- He twisted his ankle sliding into the sack at second.
- The boss is gonna give her the sack today.
- He got the sack for being late all the time.
1. plunder (a town) after capture
- the barbarians sacked Rome
Similar word(s): plunder
2. terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position
3. make as a net profit
4. put in a sack
- The grocer sacked the onions
Sentences with sack as a verb:
- Help me sack the groceries.
- He was sacked last September.
- The kids all sacked out before 9:00 on New Year’s Eve.