1. the shape of a raised edge of a more or less circular object
2. (basketball) the hoop from which the net is suspended
- the ball hit the rim and bounced off
3. the outer part of a wheel to which the tire is attached
4. a projection used for strength or for attaching to another object
Similar word(s): flange
Definition categories: man–made, projection
5. the top edge of a vessel or other container
Definition categories: man–made, edge
1. run around the rim of
- Sugar rimmed the dessert plate
2. furnish with a rim
- rim a hat
3. roll around the rim of
- the ball rimmed the basket
Sentences with rim as a verb:
- Palm trees rim the beach.A walking path rims the island.
- The golf ball rimmed the cup.
- The basketball rimmed in and out.