1. a gap between cloud masses
- the sun shone through a rift in the clouds
2. a narrow fissure in rock
3. a personal or social separation (as between opposing factions)
Sentences with rift as a noun:
- My marriage is in trouble, the fight created a rift between us and we can't reconnect.
- The Grand Canyon is a rift in the Earth's surface, but is smaller than some of the undersea ones.
1. (intransitive) To form a rift.
2. (transitive) To cleave; to rive; to split.
- to rift an oak
3. (obsolete outside Scotland and northern Britain) To belch.
4. past participle of rive