1. the basic rhythmic unit in a piece of music
- the piece has a fast rhythm
Similar word(s): beat
Definition categories: communication
2. recurring at regular intervals
3. an interval during which a recurring sequence of events occurs
4. the arrangement of spoken words alternating stressed and unstressed elements
- the rhythm of Frost's poetry
5. natural family planning in which ovulation is assumed to occur 14 days before the onset of a period (the fertile period would be assumed to extend from day 10 through day 18 of her cycle)
Definition categories: act
Sentences with rhythm as a noun:
- Dance to the rhythm of the music.
- Most dances have a rhythm as distinctive as the Iambic verse in poetry
- Once you get the rhythm of it, the job will become easy.
- We walked with a quick, even rhythm.
- The Baroque term basso continuo is virtually equivalent to rhythm
- The rhythm of the seasons dominates agriculture as well as wildlife
- The running gag is a popular rhythm in motion pictures and theater comedy