1. formally reject or disavow a formerly held belief, usually under pressure
- He retracted his earlier statements about his religion
2. pull away from a source of disgust or fear
3. use a surgical instrument to hold open (the edges of a wound or an organ)
4. pull inward or towards a center
- The cat retracted his claws
Sentences with retract as a verb:
- An airplane retracts its wheels for flight.
- Muscles retract after amputation.
- A cat can retract its claws.
- I retract all the accusations I made about the senator and sincerely hope he won't sue me.