1. a person whose case has been referred to a specialist or professional group
- the patient is a referral from Dr. Bones
2. a recommendation to consult the (professional) person or group to whom one has been referred
- the insurance company says that you need a written referral from your physician before seeing a specialist
3. the act of referring (as forwarding an applicant for employment or referring a matter to an appropriate agency)
Sentences with referral as a noun:
- The insurance company insists I get a referral from my regular doctor, I can't just go to the specialist, a GP has got to refer me.
- After misbehaving in class, George was given a referral for disrupting class and sent to the office.