1. based on or using reason
- a process of rational inference
- rational thought
2. of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind
- the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man
3. (mathematics) Of a number, capable of being expressed as the ratio of two integers.
- ¾ is a rational number, but √2 is an irrational number.
4. being guided by the intellect (as distinguished from experience or emotion)
- a rational analysis
Similar word(s): intellectual
5. (of a person ) capable of thinking clearly; exhibiting reasonableness
- rational behavior
- rational conduct
Sentences with rational as an adjective:
- Man is a rational creature.
- His statements were quite rational.