1. (obsolete) Prior; earlier; former.
1. on the contrary
- rather than disappoint the children, he did two quick tricks before he left
- he didn't call; rather (or instead), he wrote her a letter
Similar word(s): instead
2. to some (great or small) extent
- it was rather cold
- the party was rather nice
- the knife is rather dull
Similar word(s): kinda
3. more readily or willingly
- I'd rather be in Philadelphia
4. to a degree (not used with a negative)
Similar word(s): quite
Sentences with rather as an adverb:
- I'd rather stay in all day than go out with them.
- It wasn't supposed to be popular; rather, it was supposed to get the job done.
- I didn't want to leave. Or rather I did, just not alone.
- This melon is rather tasteless.
1. (England, dated) An enthusiastic affirmation.
1. (nonstandard or dialectal) To prefer; to prefer to.