1. money demanded for the return of a captured person
2. payment for the release of someone
3. the act of freeing from captivity or punishment
Sentences with ransom as a noun:
- They were held for two million dollars ransom.
- They were held to ransom.
1. exchange or buy back for money; under threat
Similar word(s): redeem
Sentences with ransom as a verb:
- to ransom prisoners from an enemy
- Such lands as he had rule of he ransomed them so grievously, and would tax the men two or three times in a year. — Berners.