1. water falling in drops from vapor condensed in the atmosphere
Similar word(s): rainfall
Definition categories: phenomenon, downfall, precipitation
2. drops of fresh water that fall as precipitation from clouds
Similar word(s): rainwater
Definition categories: substance, freshwater
3. anything happening rapidly or in quick successive
- a rain of bullets
Similar word(s): pelting
Definition categories: attribute, sequence, succession, successiveness
Sentences with rain as a noun:
- We've been having a lot of rain lately.The rains came late that year.
- A rain of mortar fire fell on our trenches.
1. precipitate as rain
- If it rains much more, we can expect some flooding
Definition categories: weather, fall, precipitate
Sentences with rain as a verb:
- It will rain today.
- Tears rained from her eyes.
- Bombs rained from the sky.
- The boxer rained punches on his opponent's head.