1. an instance of questioning
- there was a question about my training
2. the subject matter at issue
- the question of disease merits serious discussion
Similar word(s): head
3. a sentence of inquiry that asks for a reply
- he asked a direct question
4. uncertainty about the truth or factuality or existence of something
- there is no question about the validity of the enterprise
5. a formal proposal for action made to a deliberative assembly for discussion and vote
- she called for the question
Similar word(s): motion
6. an informal reference to a marriage proposal
- he was ready to pop the question
Sentences with question as a noun:
- What is your question?
- The question of seniority will be discussed at the meeting.
- There was a question of which material to use.
- His claim to the property has come under question.
- The story is true beyond question.
- He obeyed without question.
- I move that the question be put to a vote.
- Made she no verbal question? Shakespeare King Lear ca. 1606
1. challenge the accuracy, probity, or propriety of
- We must question your judgment in this matter
Similar word(s): oppugn
2. pose a series of questions to
- The suspect was questioned by the police
- We questioned the survivor about the details of the explosion
Similar word(s): interrogate
3. pose a question
Similar word(s): query
4. conduct an interview in television, newspaper, and radio reporting
Similar word(s): interview
5. place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
Similar word(s): wonder