1. the tenure of a president
Similar word(s): administration
2. the office and function of president
- Andrew Jackson expanded the power of the presidency beyond what was customary before his time
Similar word(s): presidentship
Sentences with presidency as a noun:
- After many years as a party leader, she finally ascended to the presidency.
- Because of the president's lame duck status, the presidency was often hampered by congressional actions.
- In France, a presidency lasts for five years.
- Ernest was a historian specializing in the presidency of Herbert Hoover.