1. cut or make a way through
- The path pierced the jungle
- Light pierced through the forest
2. move or affect (a person's emotions or bodily feelings) deeply or sharply
- The cold pierced her bones
- Her words pierced the students
3. sound sharply or shrilly
- The scream pierced the night
4. penetrate or cut through with a sharp instrument
Similar word(s): thrust
5. make a hole into
- The needle pierced her flesh
Sentences with pierce as a verb:
- The diver pierced the surface of the water with scarcely a splash.
- to pierce the enemy's line; a shot pierced the ship
- Can you believe he pierced his tongue?
- A scream pierced the darkness.
- to pierce a mystery