1. (used as a direction or description in music) soft; in a quiet, subdued tone
- the piano passages in the composition
1. used as a direction in music; to be played relatively softly
Similar word(s): softly
1. a keyboard instrument that is played by depressing keys that cause hammers to strike tuned strings and produce sounds
Similar word(s): pianoforte
Definition categories: man–made
2. (music) low loudness
Similar word(s): pianissimo
Sentences with piano as a noun:
- The piano in his house takes up a lot of space.
- She has been taking lessons for many years and now plays piano very well.
- He can play "Happy Birthday" on the piano.
- Most of the works by Frédéric Chopin are for the piano.