2. continually recurring to the mind
3. retained; not shed
- persistent leaves remain attached past maturity
- the persistent gills of fishes
Similar word(s): lasting
4. stubbornly unyielding
- dogged persistence
Sentences with persistent as an adjective:
- She has had a persistent cough for weeks.
- There was a persistent knocking on the door.
- There have been persistent rumours for years.
- Pine cones have persistent scales.
- Once written to a disk file the data becomes persistent and it will still be there tomorrow when we run the next program.
- This way transient value becomes persistent.