1. an article deposited as security
2. a person used by another to gain an end
Similar word(s): instrument
3. (chess) the least powerful piece; moves only forward and captures only to the side; it can be promoted to a more powerful piece if it reaches the 8th rank
Definition categories: man–made, chessman
4. borrowing and leaving an article as security for repayment of the loan
Sentences with pawn as a noun:
- Though a pawn of the gods, her departure is the precipitating cause of the Trojan War.
- All our jewellery was in pawn by this stage.