1. being everywhere equidistant and not intersecting
- parallel lines never converge
- concentric circles are parallel
- dancers in two parallel rows
2. of or relating to the simultaneous performance of multiple operations
- parallel processing
Sentences with parallel as an adjective:
- The horizontal lines on my notebook paper are parallel.
- The railway line runs parallel to the road.
- The two railway lines are parallel.
- a parallel algorithm
1. With a parallel relationship.
- The road runs parallel with the canal.
1. something having the property of being analogous to something else
2. an imaginary line around the Earth parallel to the equator
Similar word(s): latitude
3. (mathematics) one of a set of parallel geometric figures (parallel lines or planes)
- parallels never meet
Sentences with parallel as a noun:
- The 31st parallel passes through the center of my town.
- Johnson's parallel between Dryden and Pope
1. be parallel to
- Their roles are paralleled by ours
2. make or place parallel to something
- They paralleled the ditch to the highway
Similar word(s): collimate
3. duplicate or match