1. (now rare) Pertaining to the god Pan.
2. Of fear, fright etc: sudden or overwhelming (attributed by the ancient Greeks to the influence of Pan).
1. an overwhelming feeling of fear and anxiety
2. sudden mass fear and anxiety over anticipated events
- panic in the stock market
Similar word(s): scare
1. be overcome by a sudden fear
- The students panicked when told that final exams were less than a week away
2. cause sudden fear in or fill with sudden panic
- The mere thought of an isolation cell panicked the prisoners