1. graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface
- a small painting by Picasso
- he bought the painting as an investment
Similar word(s): picture
Definition categories: man–made
2. creating a picture with paints
- he studied painting and sculpture for many years
3. the act of applying paint to a surface
- you can finish the job of painting faster with a roller than with a brush
4. the occupation of a house painter
- house painting was the only craft he knew
Sentences with painting as a noun:
- The Mona Lisa is one of the most famous paintings.
- Artistic painting often takes longer than utilitarian house &c. painting.
- Some artists, like Michelangelo, excel in both painting and sculpture.
1. present participle of paint